Saturday, March 12, 2011

An Old Favorite and a New Favorite

Because I caught some kind of flu-like bug, or something, I spent the week home from school with a headache pretty much round the clock, with some achy-ness and a queasy stomach (although I didn't have a fever, which was weird).  Even now, my head isn't quite right (no dumb jokes, please).  As a result of my week of do-nothing, I watched a lot of tv.  I pretty much had my fill of ESPN and the NFL labor news.  I enjoyed the college basketball games, though.  Good background noise. 

Anyway, I discovered two shows I really enjoy, one an old friend and another a new classic.  First the old friend:  On the REELZ channel (Dish Network), I discovered NewsRadio reruns.  NewsRadio is a show my brother and I got hooked on during the mid-to-late 90's (thanks Jeff).  It is a sitcom that takes place in a small all-news radio station in New York.  I don't know that there was a "star" attached to it, but the cast has gone on to many other endeavors.  Unfortunately, this show was still filming when Phil Hartman was killed, and lasted one season without him.  Basically, each episode revolved around some new hair-brained idea or situation that arose at the station, and then funny lines and high jinks ensued.  It's still very watchable.  And, I still wish that the atmosphere at work was a little more like NewsRadio.

The other show I watched a lot of is Phineas and Ferb.  This is a cartoon on the Disney network of channels, and is about two step-brothers who spend each day of summer vacation coming up with some new outrageous idea or invention.  Their teenage sister tries to bust them, but always ends up looking foolish.  Their pet platypus, Perry, is really a secret agent, engaged in stopping the evil Doofenschmirtz.  All-in-all, its very clever, with running gags and enough jokes aimed at adults that it makes it a kid show that's fun to watch with your kids, or without them.

If you happen to have the time, or a DVR, check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment