Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book Review - Vigilante by Robin Parrish

Robin Parrish writes speculative Christian fiction. Vigilante is his latest novel. Upon receiving the advanced reading copy from Bethany House, I dug in. Unfortunately, my attention wasn't held by the story.

Nolan Grey, a former elite soldier, decides to fight evil at home in the U.S. He arranges to fake his death and then begins operating from the shadows. This allows him a freedom others don't have. With a small group of helpers, Nolan takes on the evil that others can't.

Vigilante isn't a bad novel, I just think it is average. I was hoping to be sucked into the story, but I found that I often had to force myself to read. The writing was fine and the story idea was good, but I couldn't identify with any of the characters. As a longtime fan and reader of superhero comics, the plot didn't bring anything new to the table. It just seemed average.

If you are looking for a story that is different from much of the normal Christian fare, or like your protagonists bigger than life, this book might be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment