Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer

I watched the movie The Lincoln Lawyer.  It was fantastic.  The cast was top notch, the plot was great, and the twists were twisty.  I highly recommend it to anyone who likes mysteries. 

More importantly, The Lincoln Lawyer is based on a novel of the same name by Michael Connelly.  The main character, Mickey Haller, is featured in 4 (maybe 5) books.  But Connelly's greatest creation is Harry Bosch, a homicide detective in Los Angeles.  I've lost track of the number of books in the series, but I've read them all and will continue to do so as new ones are released.  Harry's life is described so well that I feel I know him.  Mark and I occasionally mention needing to get a "Harry Bosch fix".  In addition to these series, Connelly has written several other books.  What's fun is that his characters interact in the same universe.  It is not uncommon of one character to guest star in another character's book.  There is even one book, The Reversal, that features Harry and Mickey as the protagonists in alternating chapters.  All this to say, mystery writer going today, and possibly of all time.  His books are genuine and there are no cheats in the solving of the mystery.  His characters are well drawn and you will come to care about what happens to them.  Plus, I have never been able to figure out "whodunnit" in advance of the reveal.  You can read the books in any order, but I recommend the order they were released because of the character and life developments.  If you just want to read a random book, my favorite Bosch book is "The Concrete Blonde" (its the third book, but it carries greater impact if the first two books are read prior to reading it).  Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment