Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Review - Dug Down Deep by Joshua Harris

Dug Down Deep is a book about theology.  That is a heavy and complicated subject no matter who you are, and one I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle.  Fortunately, Harris writes with a style that made this subject easier (not easy) to understand.  The bulk of the book attempts to Biblically answer the truth about the following subjects: God, Scripture, Jesus, the Cross, salvation, sanctification, the Holy Spirit, and the church (from the introduction).  Harris tackles each of these topics using personal anecdotes, Bible references (the ultimate authority), and references to other noteworthy books on theology, doctrine, and orthodoxy.  It was a very interesting and challenging read.  I learned about the Amish ritual of Rumspringa (look it up, you'll be amazed); I discovered that Harris is the actual author of an email story called "The Room", which is based on a dream he had (it's very moving; google it with his name); and gained a deeper understanding of the theology I base my life and faith on.  My favorite chapter dealt with Harris's father's conversion to Christianity.  The chapter about the Holy Spirit deals with some charismatic issues that I wasn't real clear on previously.  The final chapter is called Humble Orthodoxy and calls Christians to be firm but loving, and to live the truth.  Harris states , "But I'll tell you what deflates my arrogance and self-righteousness faster than anything else: trying to live whatever truth I have."  What a great challenge.

This version of the book contains a Reflection and Discussion Guide, notes, and a recommended reading list for further study.

I learned more about theology and doctrine from reading Dug Down Deep.  It is well worth the read, whether you are a new Christian, have been saved for a long time, or somewhere in-between.

I received this book from the publisher as part of WaterBrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books review program.

No comments:

Post a Comment