Sunday, September 11, 2011

Assorted Hodge Podge

This is a catch-all post with various items.

With the 10th anniversary of 9/11 today, our principal decided we would spend Friday helping our students (6-12) understand why it was such a significant event.  They were all very young (my 8th graders were 3 or 4), so he wanted to provide context.  We watched videos, gave them an overview of what happened, and then looked at how this tragedy brought out the best in our country, with people rallying, serving others, and even sacrificing their lives.  We finished with a balloon release from the football field to commemorate and remember those who lost their lives.  It was an intense but cool day.

Last night, Trisha and I had the privilege of attending the wedding of a former player of mine.  It is one of my favorite things about being a high school football coach.  I love having the opportunity to see how those teenage boys grow into young men and begin families of their own.  It's an honor to be able to be a part of their lives.  I've probably been to 10 weddings and have another one to attend next month.

Finally, ONU got their first win under my buddy Brian Fish.  They ran an interception back for a touchdown in overtime to secure the victory.  Because we were at the wedding, I was updating on my phone all evening.  We were even able to hear a live radio feed through the phone on our way home. (I love technology...not as much as you, you see < for Dad and Jeff>).  Way to go Tigers!  Fight On!

No comments:

Post a Comment